In preparation for the 4th of July and many more summer cookouts, I want to share this awesome turkey burger recipe with you to add to your burger repertoire! Ryan and I enjoyed these outside on our porch last week and they were so good we have been talking about them ever since. This was a favorite menu option for a family of 6 that I cooked for in Dallas – it’s got lots of unexpected flavors, it’s kid-friendly, and is an all-around perfect way to jazz up a turkey burger.
I’m a big fan of turkey burgers because they are a nice, lean alternative to red meat and the flavor/topping options are endless. These burgers get a nice shot of teriyaki sauce into the patty and are glazed with sauce on the outside once the patty is cooked. A grilled pineapple ring is used as a sweet, tangy topping and perfectly compliments the teriyaki flavor. Next, we add creamy avocado mashed with prepared wasabi paste for spicy flavor kick. (You can find this wasabi paste in the Asian section of most all grocery stores.) Serve it on a whole-grain bun with sweet potato fries and walk right into healthy burger heaven!
Teriyaki Turkey Burgers with Grilled Pineapple and Wasabi Avocado Spread
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 four-ounce burgers with 1 pineapple ring and 2 tablespoons wasabi avocado spread per burger
Turkey burgers get a makeover with zesty Asian flare and feature a teriyaki glaze, grilled pineapple rings, and a spicy wasabi avocado spread. A Dietitian in the Kitchen client favorite!
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup prepared teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon Simply Asia Spicy Szechwan Five Spice Seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 pineapple rings (I use Dole Canned Pineapple Rings in Juice)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi paste
- Green leaf lettuce
- Whole grain hamburger buns
- For the burgers:
- Preheat your grill, grill pan or skillet and grease with oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce, Asian seasoning, salt and pepper to ground turkey. With a light hand, mix until just combined. Be careful not to over-handle the meat. Form into 4 patties that are about 1/2” thick.
- Cook the burgers for 4 minutes on one side, flip, and cook additional 4 minutes or so until cooked through. During the last 2 minutes of cooking, brush the top sides of the patties with the additional teriyaki sauce.
- Remove the patties to a plate, cover with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. In the meantime, grill the pineapple rings for about 90 seconds on each side.
- Place the turkey patties on toasted buns, top with pineapple rings, lettuce, and 2 tablespoons wasabi avocado spread. Serve with sweet potato fries.
- For the wasabi avocado spread:
- Mash the ripe avocado with the wasabi paste using a fork until combined and creamy. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and a bit of lime juice if you have it until ready to serve.