When it comes to peaches, I identify with good ol’ Bubba Gump. If it were up to me, I’d open a restaurant and have only dishes that featured peaches. Peach salsa, peach pizza, peach quesadillas, peach BBQ ribs, peach chicken, peach French toast, peach oatmeal, peach pie, peach fritters, peach cobbler, peach ice cream…..I could go on but you get the picture.
I am a peach girl through and through. From the clothes I wear, to the nail polish I choose, to the food I eat. I get so overwhelmed by all the foods I want to make when peaches come in season. But this past weekend I knew it had to be peach BBQ sauce. I was craving something sweet. And spicy. And sticky. This recipe took care of all of that.
Folks, this BBQ sauce is made of the stuff that makes you want to “slap yo mama” when you taste it. We’re talking ripe juicy peaches married with spicy chipotle peppers. A pleasant tang is added with apple cider vinegar and good ketchup. Sweet notes come from dark brown sugar and smoked sweet paprika. Flavor is enhanced with garlic, Worcestershire, ancho chili powder, and Dijon mustard. And the bourbon. This is added to give a mysterious depth of flavor and make people scratch their heads trying to figure out the “secret” ingredient. It’s all lip-smackin’ good!
This sauce is going to be the game-changer at your summer cookouts. It will take your ribs, chicken, pork, sandwiches, and even pizza to the next level. I really need to can this sauce and save it for the winter because I’ve literally been thinking about it since last summer. Excuse me while I go to my fridge and grab a spoon. Ryan is not getting any leftovers today!
- If you don’t have bourbon or don’t want to use it in this recipe, water can be substituted. I also have a strong suspicion that Dr. Pepper would taste delicious as a substitution. If you go this route, omit the dark brown sugar from the recipe so the sweetness isn’t overpowering.
Sweet and Spicy Peach BBQ Sauce
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: About 2 cups
Fresh, juicy peaches are the star of this sweet and spicy stick-to-your-ribs BBQ sauce. Serve it on your favorite grilled meats, hot dogs, burgers, paninis, and pizza!
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 chipotle pepper canned in adobo with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce
- 2 cups diced peaches (about 4 medium peeled and diced fresh peaches)
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add about 2 teaspoons of oil to a medium-sized heavy-bottomed skillet or saucepan on medium heat.
- Add the garlic, paprika, chile powder, and chipotle chile with sauce and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the peaches and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the bourbon and stir until it is almost evaporated, about another minute.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until the sauce is thickened and reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Note: I happen to like the chunky, jam-like texture of the peaches in the finished sauce. However, if you like a smoother consistency, feel free to run the sauce through the blender once it is cool.